by Kimberley Wallace, Senior HR Consultant
0333 400 7920 | 07584 575212 | email@example.com
Taking on staff is a big milestone in any business. But do you know what your legal responsibilities are as an employer? Below we provide a checklist of the essential steps to employing people for your business:
- Employers Liability Insurance - You must have in place Employers Liability Insurance as soon as you become an employer. If not you can be fined £2,500 for every day you’re not insured.
- PAYE / HMRC - You have to register with the HMRC as an employer and set up PAYE for processing your payroll.
- Pensions - You’ll be required to automatically enrol your employees into a workplace pension scheme paying the minimum employer contribution rates (currently 3% employer / 5% employee contributions).
- Contract of employment - You’ll need to provide your employees with a written statement of employment including their terms and conditions. This must be provided within two months of their start date.
- GDPR - Ensure you are complying with GDPR regulations – you’ll need a Data Privacy Notice and Data Protection Policy in place
- Health and Safety - Health and safety requirements will include: carrying out risk assessments, planning and training on emergency procedures, providing safety equipment and protective clothing. You’ll also be required to make reasonable adjustments for disabled workers.
- Discrimination - You are required to ensure your workplace is free from discrimination.
If you are doing all of the above then well done on keeping your business compliant. If not it would be advisable to implement immediately in order to avoid employment tribunals, HRMC fines, investigations from the Health and Safety Executive, Information Commissioner’s Office or Pensions Regulator and not to mention risking your business’ reputation.
We can draft bespoke employment contracts for your business, support with H&S, payroll and pension obligations, and provide your business with HR advice.
EmployAssist provides HR support to SMEs across Hertfordshire, Essex and London. Our services are provided via a low cost monthly retainer, or via an on-demand basis, just contact us when you need support. Contact us for a free, no obligation HR audit.