As an employer you have a legal duty to ensure that your employees have a right to work in the UK before you employ them, and to carry out document checks on people. Failure to comply with this legislation will leave you liable for paying heavy fines.
If these document checks are carried out effectively you will have a ‘statutory excuse' against payment of a fine if you can demonstrate the following:
- Correct checks on acceptable documents were carried out before a person starts working
- If a person has a time limit on their right to work, by repeating document checks at least once every 12 months
- That a potential employee who has a restriction on the type of work they can do and, or, the amount of hours they can work is not employed in breach of these work conditions
You will not have an excuse if you knowingly employ an illegal migrant worker, regardless of any document checks you carry out before or during a person’s employment.
Through our Right to Work check we will carry out documents checks on your behalf and help you to avoid paying substantial fines. Our service provides:
- An easy to use submission process with results returned to you within 24 hours
- Easy access to the reporting portal via our online portal
- A comprehensive PDF report which details the checks undertaken and presents a copy of all document images providing you with a time and date stamped audit trail of the right to work check.
For more information please contact one of our Consultants by calling 0333 400 7920. Alternatively, please complete our online enquiry form.